Beckman Mill is located at Beckman Mill County Park, 6 miles west of Beloit, Wisconsin. On the grounds of the 50-acre county park you will see an authentically restored 1868 grist mill, a new dam, mill pond,fish ladder, foot bridge, saw mill display, 1840s cooperage, visitor center, gift shop, creamery, blacksmith shop, picnic shelter, vintage garden, nature trail and more.
The showpiece of the park is the Beckman Mill, the restoration of which was completed in 1997 by the Friends of Beckman Mill’s volunteer work crew. It is operational with power being supplied by its original 1860s water driven Leffel turbine. In the event alternate power is needed, the mill can be operated by its vintage two-cylinder gasoline engine.
The mill was built shortly after the Civil War by millwright William Howe of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. In 1882 it was acquired by August Beckmann who had previously operated mills in nearby Juda and Hanover. The mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Beckman Mill Park as seen today is a result of the efforts of members of Friends of Beckman Mill, Inc. Formed in 1990, the group on a volunteer basis is responsible for not only the restoration of the mill, but also these other park attractions: new dam, fish ladder, millpond, frog pond, foot bridge, saw mill display, 1848 cooperage, visitor center, gift shop, creamery display, blacksmith display, nature trail, restroom facilities, vintage garden and storage barn.